Objection to linked reportAcademics' report exposes dictatorial rectors, which you published a link to on 18 January is far from plausible, it has excessive judgments which are not quite right. Just a few points to mention:
- • Rectors cannot appoint the Deans, whom are appointed by YOK (the Turkish Higher Education Authority),
- • Secretary General (head of all administrative body) is a permanent position which the Rector cannot change,
- • All the administrative staff are placed by the Ministry of Finance based on a centralised exam called ‘KPSS’,
- • All the academic staff can be appointed only with the permission of YOK, and the selection process has to be based on objective, measurable criteria (publications, projects, foreign language, experience, etc.
- • A rector cannot fire anyone even if he/she does not fulfil his/her duties based on the contract; if he does, Administrative Courts intervene and send him/her back.
Professor Dr Mustafa Acar
Aksaray Üniversitesi Rektörü / Rector, Aksaray University