Terms and Conditions of Use
IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT THE USE OF THIS website, INCLUDING USE THROUGH AN ELECTRONIC AGENT, IS SUBJECT TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE SET OUT BELOW. BY USING THIS SITE THE USER AGREES AND IS DEEMED TO HAVE AGREED TO OBSERVE ALL TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE, INCLUDING ANY PRIVACY OR OTHER POLICIES WHICH MAY APPEAR ELSEWHERE ON THIS website.
IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO BE BOUND BY THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS THEN FURTHER USE OF THE website IS PROHIBITED.
Click on the links below to access sections of this document:
Use of this site
Amendments to content and information
Owner information and required disclosures
Consumer rights and security
Receipt of data messages
Monitoring and interception of data messages
Submission of content
Uploading of content
Removal of Content - Notice of Objection
Copyright and intellectual property protection
Privacy and confidentiality of communications
Advertising and sponsorship
Hyperlinks, deep links, framing and web crawlers
Termination of this agreement
Amendment of these terms and conditions
Enforceability of these terms and conditions and waivers
Date of last review
Download Terms and Conditions
“website owner” and/or “we” means Higher Education Web Publishing, the owners of the University World News (“UWN”) website
“user” means any person accessing any part of the website and includes members
“consumer” means any natural person who enters or intends entering into an electronic transaction with this site as the end-user of the goods or services offered by this site
"this website" means www.universityworldnews.com
and all sub pages thereof excluding links to external sites
USE OF THIS SITE
AMENDMENTS TO CONTENT AND INFORMATION
- The UWN service is comprised of information and content, which includes but is not limited to free and subscription-based newsletters, advertising services and domestic and international news provided by UWN and third parties.
- Access to certain pages of and information contained on this website may be restricted to subscribers.
- Use of this website is strictly at the sole risk of the user.
- Any and all illegal, unlawful or fraudulent conduct, including click fraud, directed towards this website or any of the services offered through it is strictly prohibited.
OWNER INFORMATION & REQUIRED DISCLOSURES
- The website owner expressly reserves the right in its sole discretion to effect any amendment or alteration to the content and information, including pricing and rates, set out in this website.
- Users acknowledge that it is their responsibility to familiarise themselves with any amendment or alteration affected.
- Please submit any query in respect of these Terms & Conditions or the use of this website to us in any of the following ways:
Website owner: Higher Education Web Publishing Limited
Registered Number: 6266400 (A private limited company, registered in England and Wales)
18 St Cross Street
London EC1N 8UN
- Users should regard nothing contained in this website as an offer but rather as an invitation to do business.
- THIS ENTIRE website, INCLUDING TEXT, IMAGES, LINKS, DOWNLOADS AND CODING, IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE". THE website OWNER MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES AS TO THE CORRECTNESS OR SUITABILITY OF EITHER THE website OR THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN IT.
- The website owner, its officers, employees, suppliers, ISPs, partners, affiliates and agents, shall not be liable for any damage, loss or liability, howsoever arising, incurred by users or any other persons and resulting from the use or inability to use this website.
- The website owner disclaims all responsibility or liability for any damages, including but not limited to direct, economic, consequential loss or loss of profits, resulting from the use of or inability to use, including but not limited to non-receipt of services, this site in any manner.
- The website owner has no control over third party content and features which can be accessed through the use of this website and does not examine or edit such content and features or act as an agent for third parties accessible through this website. As such and to the fullest possible extent permissible under law the website owner disclaims any liability whatsoever for any loss or damage arising from the use of third party websites, contents and features.
- All reader responses posted on this site are those of the reader ONLY and NOT those of University World News or Higher Education Web Publishing, their associated trademarks, websites and services. University World News or Higher Education Web Publishing does not necessarily endorse, support, sanction, encourage, verify or agree with any comments, opinions or statements or other content provided by readers.
- USERS AGREE TO INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS THE website OWNER, ITS OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, ISPs, SERVANTS, SUBCONTRACTORS, PARTNERS, SUBSIDIARIES AND AFFILIATES FROM ANY DEMAND, ACTION OR APPLICATION OR OTHER PROCEEDINGS, INCLUDING FOR ATTORNEYS' FEES AND RELATED COSTS SUCH AS TRACING FEES, MADE BY ANY THIRD PARTY AND ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OF THIS website, THIRD PARTY websiteS OR ANY OF THE SERVICES OFFERED THROUGH SUCH SITES IN ANY WAY, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE PROVISION OF CONTENT.
CONSUMER RIGHTS & SECURITY
- The website owner expressly reserves its right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to alter or amend any criteria or information set out in this website without notice. Accordingly, any information, including journalistic articles, in this website is not intended to constitute legal, financial, accounting, tax, investment, consulting or other professional advice or services. Before making any decision or taking any action, which might affect your personal finances or business, you should consult a qualified professional advisor.
- This website does not accept online payments. Should you wish to contract any paid-for service offered by this site, contact the website owner for more details on payment options.
RECEIPT OF DATA MESSAGES
- The website owner offers a comprehensive range of information subscription services to individuals, groups and organisations, including e-mail subscriptions to various services. The provision of the general news service is provided free of charge. Sponsorship of specialist services is available as an option.
- When a user applies to become a subscriber to any service offered by the website owner:
- they will be irrevocably bound by the terms and conditions applicable to the use of this website
- they will provide full and accurate information
- it is the user's responsibility to check and update information pertaining to their user account
- on registration they will provide a password
- registration is for a single user and a subscriber's username and password cannot be shared with any other person
- a single username and password cannot be used to allow multiple access to other users over a network.
- Subscribers and users further undertake not to:
- impersonate any other person or use a false or unauthorised name so as to create a false identity and/or e-mail address or to misrepresent the origin or identity of any communications
- modify, access or make available any data stored on a computer device which has been accessed through the website owner's network
- make available or upload files that contain software or any other material not owned or licensed to the subscriber
- make use of the website to collect, harvest or otherwise obtain personal information relating to other users or subscribers.
- The website owner expressly reserves it rights in respect of any abuse of the subscription services offered through this website and will pursue prosecution of and compensation from any party which receives any service to which he, she or it is not entitled or attempts to do so.
- The granting of a subscription is entirely within the discretion of the website owner and may, without limiting such discretion, be refused where the website owner reasonably suspects abuse or where the provisions of these Terms and Conditions of Use are breached.
MONITORING AND INTERCEPTION OF DATA MESSAGES
- Data messages, including e-mail messages, sent by users to the website owner shall be deemed to be received only when acknowledged or responded to.
- Data messages sent by the website owner to users shall be regarded as received when the complete data message enters an information system designated or used for that purpose by the recipient and is capable of being retrieved and processed by the recipient.
- The website owner reserves the right not to respond to any e-mail or other data message which contains obscene, threatening, defamatory or otherwise illegal, unlawful or inappropriate content, and to take appropriate action against the sender of such e-mail where necessary.
- Users should be aware that filtering technology employed by ISPs, employers and others may result in the non-delivery of a service subscribed to. UWN takes reasonable efforts to ensure that subscription services are not stopped by filtering technology and will make reasonable attempts to remedy non-delivery where it is notified thereof. If you have not received a subscription service please notify us.
SUBMISSION OF CONTENT
- In order to provide a relevant and secure service, and where required to do so under law, the website owner may monitor and/or intercept electronic communications such as e-mail which are sent to this website. To the full extent necessary under law the user hereby acknowledges that he or she is aware of such potential monitoring and/or interception and consents thereto.
UPLOADING OF CONTENT
- Any content received by e-mail or other data message will be assumed to have been submitted for publication free of charge, unless the sender clearly stipulates that payment for the content is required and includes all relevant contact and pricing information in the e-mail or other data message.
- The publication of content, either on-line or off-line, is within the sole and exclusive discretion of the website owner.
- Any unsolicited information or material sent to the website owner will be deemed to not be confidential, unless otherwise agreed to in writing by the website owner.
REMOVAL OF CONTENT - NOTICE OF OBJECTION
- This website offers a service through which users may submit links to their websites, employment opportunities and events. Further functionality in this regard may be added from time to time.
- The website owner reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to approve or refuse any submission and submissions will only be posted online once approved.
- The website owner further reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to remove any submissions on such grounds as it may deem fit.
- If the website owner receives a valid notice of objection relating to any content that is posted on this website then the website owner, subject to the provisions of this clause, will remove the content as contained on the website.
- A valid notice of objection must be emailed or faxed to the website owner and include:
- full names and address,
- written or electronic signature,
- identification of the right that has been infringed,
- identification of the material or activity that infringes this right,
- the remedial action needed,
- the telephonic and electronic contact details,
- a statement that the complainant is acting in good faith, and
- a statement that the information is true and correct.
- If the notice of objection does comply with clause 17 then the website owner will remove the content and inform the complainant and, if necessary, the third party that posted that material immediately.
- The website owner expressly disclaims any liability which may arise as a result of the removal of content pursuant to the receipt of a valid notice of objection.
COPYRIGHT AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY PROTECTION
- While we take all reasonable security precautions, no liability will lie for damage caused by the malicious use of this site or by destructive data or code that is passed on to the user through the use of this site.
- The following acts in connection with this website are expressly prohibited:
- Gaining or attempting to gain unauthorised access to any web page or part of this website;
- Delivering or attempting to deliver any unauthorised or malicious code or content to this website; and/or
- Any amendment to or attempt to amend any of the content or any other part of this website by unauthorised persons.
- We will pursue prosecution of and compensation from any person that delivers or attempts to deliver any destructive code to this website or attempts to gain unauthorized access to any page on or part of this website.
PRIVACY AND CONFIDENTIALITY OF COMMUNICATIONS
- Copyright in all information, logos, images, source codes and other original material contained in this website, which is not attributed to a third party, is held by or licensed to the website owner. The website owner asserts and reserves all its rights, including moral rights, in this regard. No right, title or interest in any proprietary material or information contained in this website is granted to users other than set out above.
- The website owner grants to users a personal, non-exclusive, non-assignable and non-transferable license to view, copy, download to a local drive, print and display all content and information on any machine of which the user is the primary user provided that such use:
- Is for information purposes only;
- Is for non-commercial purposes or within a non-commercial website;
- Any reproduction must acknowledge this website as the source of the information in a proper copyright notice.
- Users are required to inform the website owner of any non-commercial use by e-mailing email@example.com.
- Users wishing to utilise content for their own commercial purposes may doing so only with the prior written permission of the website owner. Requests for commercial use may be submitted by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The granting or refusing of permission is completely within the discretion of the website owner, and may be conditional.
- Users are requested to note that intellectual property rights in certain material and/or information contained on this website may vest in a third party other than the website owner and that the user is under a legal duty to respect such rights.
- UWN respects your privacy.
- Where personal information (such as your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address and credit card information) is submitted to the site by the user, for example through sending an e-mail or filling in required fields, the following principles are observed in the handling of that information:
- This website collects, processes and stores only such personal information regarding users as is necessary to provide the services offered. The specific purpose for which information is collected is apparent from the context in which it is requested.
- This website will not use the personal information submitted for any other purpose other than the efficient provision of services, including this website and services offered through it by third parties, without obtaining the prior written approval of the user or unless required to do so by law. The names and e-mail addresses of subscribers and persons taking advantage of the trial offer are retained for verification purposes.
- This website will keep records of all personal information collected and the specific purpose for which it was collected for a period of at least one year from the date on which it was last used.
- Subject to point (ii) above, this website will not disclose any personal information regarding a user to any third party unless the prior written agreement of the user is obtained or the website is required or permitted to do so by law.
- If information is released with the user's consent this website will retain a record of the information released, the third party to which it was released, the reason for the release and the date of release, for a period of one year.
- This website will destroy or delete any personal information under its control, which has become obsolete.
- Information collected about users through their use of this website and newsletter service is the property of the website owner. The website owner will retain all ownership of and copyright in any database of users' personal information submitted to or collected by this website or any service offered through it.
- The website owner will not utilise personal and other information submitted by users through the use of this website in order to provide further information about the website and related services unless users have expressly given prior permission.
- No credit card information is retained or stored by the website owner.
- This website may use personal information collected to compile profiles for statistical purposes and trade in these profiles. No information contained in the profiles or statistics will be able to be linked to any specific user.
- In order to provide the best possible and most relevant service, this website utilises cookies. A cookie is a small file that is placed on the user's hard drive in order to keep a record of a user's interaction with this website and facilitate user convenience.
- Cookies from this website allow the website owner to tailor advertising and other services to your displayed preferences. The website may use third party cookies from an adserver for this purpose.
- Cookies by themselves will not be used to personally identify users but will be used to compile anonymous statistics relating to use of services offered or to provide us with feedback on the performance of this website.
- The following classes of information will be collected in respect of users who have enabled cookies:
- The browser used;
- IP address;
- Date and time of activities while visiting the website;
- URLs of internal pages visited; and,
ADVERTISING AND SPONSORSHIP
- If a user does not wish cookies to be employed to customise his or her interaction with this website, it is possible to alter the manner in which their browser handles cookies. Please note that, if this is done, certain services on this website may not be available.
- Users may obtain a record of the personal information relating to them held by the website owner by e-mailing email@example.com.
- Where a user believes that personal data concerning them held by the website owner is outdated or incorrect they may request that such personal data be corrected by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Any request for such a correction must specify both the incorrect data and the proposed correction and must give full reasons for the request.
- You may request that UWN cease sending you any information or request that your personal information be removed from our database at any time by e-mailing email@example.com.
- While reasonable measures are taken to ensure the security and integrity of information submitted to or collected by this site, this website can not under any circumstances be held liable for any loss or other damage sustained by a user or users as a result of the intentional or accidental release of information by the website owner, an employee of the website owner or any third party.
- The website owner regards the safety and privacy of children using this website extremely seriously but it remains the ultimate responsibility of the parents and other care-givers of children to ensure that they are not exposed to inappropriate content or behaviour.
- The User's attention is drawn to the fact that information transmitted via the Internet, including e-mail, is susceptible to monitoring and interception. The User is therefore discouraged from transmitting to the website or website owner any information that may be confidential, proprietary, or sensitive. The User shall bear all risk of transmitting such information in this manner and under no circumstances will the website owner be liable for any loss, harm, or damage suffered by the User as a result thereof.
- The website owner reserves the right to request independent verification of any information transmitted via e-mail and the User consents to such verification should the website owner deem it necessary.
- Any unsolicited information or material sent to the website or website owner will be deemed not to be confidential, unless otherwise agreed in writing by the website owner.
- This website may contain advertising and sponsorship. Advertisers and sponsors are responsible for ensuring that material submitted for inclusion in this website complies with all applicable laws and regulations.
- The website owner accordingly excludes, to the fullest possible extent permissible under law, any responsibility or liability for any error or inaccuracy appearing in advertising or sponsorship material.
HYPERLINKS, DEEP LINKS, FRAMING AND WEB CRAWLERS
- Automated transactions and searches are subject to these terms and conditions.
- The use of malicious search technology is prohibited.
- The use of search technology in an unlawful manner or for the collecting or harvesting of data for commercial gain is prohibited.
- Search technology which does not unduly retard the operation of this website is acceptable but the website owner reserves the right to prohibit any specific entity from employing search technology on the website.
TERMINATION OF THIS AGREEMENT
- Persons, business and websites are free to link to this website. Please notify us of any link created by e-mailing details of the link and the page to which it points to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Permission to link to this website is given without assumption of any liability. We reserve the right to withdraw permission granted to link to this website at any time and for any reason.
- Use of the sites or pages linked to is accordingly exclusively at the risk of the user.
- The express permission in writing of the website owner, which may be subject to conditions, is required before this site, any of its pages and/or any of the information contained on the site is framed. Requests for permission can be submitted by e-mailing email@example.com.
- While the use of web crawlers and search software is permitted on this site, the website owner reserves the right to restrict the use of web crawlers in whole or in part as it sees fit. You may not save the whole or any part of the source code of the website nor may a person use any technology or application that extracts the source code of the website and saves this information.
- The use of electronic agents to harvest personal information from the website owner is strictly prohibited.
WHAT LAW GOVERNS THIS AGREEMENT?
- The website owner reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion and without prior notification, to terminate the provision of this website and/or to terminate the access rights of any user where, for example and without limitation:
- The website owner regards the action or inaction of a user to constitute a breach of these terms and conditions;
- The website owner regards the action or inaction of a user to constitute abuse of the services offered through this website.
- Events beyond the reasonable control of the website owner, including technical failures, prevent the continuing provision of the website.
- Subject to the dispute resolution provisions below, the user hereby agrees that the law applicable to these terms and conditions of use, their interpretation and any matter or litigation in connection therewith or arising from them will be the law of the United Kingdom.
- When using this site and agreeing to these Terms and Conditions, such use and agreement is deemed to have taken place in London, England, United Kingdom.
- Users of this website are encouraged to familiarise themselves with the United Kingdom law relating to electronic communications and transactions.
AMENDMENT OF THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT
- By accessing this website you acknowledge and agree that in the event of any dispute or purported dispute arising out of use or inability to use this website, or claim in respect of any service or product offered through the University World News website, or on any matter provided for in, or arising out of this agreement, then that dispute shall be submitted to arbitration as provided for under the laws of the United Kingdom.
- Any dispute will be resolved in London, England, in English, in accordance with the laws of the United Kingdom.
ENFORCEABILITY OF THIS AGREEMENT & WAIVERS
- Please note that, due to legal and other developments, we may be required to amend these Terms and Conditions of Use from time to time. Please refer to the last revision date at the foot of this page.
- We will attempt to give notice of any amendments, but reserve the right to effect binding amendments, additions or deletions without notice.
DATE OF LAST REVIEW
- Users may not cede, sub-license or otherwise transfer any rights they may have under these terms and conditions or which may otherwise have been obtained through the use of this site.
- Any failure by the website owner to exercise or enforce any right or provision of these Terms and Conditions of Use shall in no way constitute a waiver of such right or provision.
- In the event of any part of these Terms and Conditions being found to be partially or fully unenforceable, for whatever reason, this shall not effect the application or enforceability of the remainder of this Agreement.
- Failure to enforce any provision of these Terms and Conditions shall not be deemed a waiver of such provision nor of the right to enforce such provision.
23 May 2018