HUNGARY

Government to challenge EC universities decision in court
On Tuesday 25 February, Balázs Hankó, Hungarian minister of culture and innovation, said the Hungarian government will challenge the Brussels bureaucrats’ decision of December 16 last year, which “seriously infringes on the autonomy of Hungarian universities, students and researchers” in the Court of Justice of the European Union, reports MTI-Hungary Today.Commenting on the European Commission’s decision of 16 December, that Hungarian law does not adequately address the conflict of interest risks in the boards of trustees of public interest foundations, Hankó said: “Brussels has attacked our sovereignty, and the Hungarian government will therefore take legal action against the European Commission … ”
He explained that the European Commission (EC) wants to exclude university rectors from the boards of trustees and wants to involve NGOs funded by George Soros and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) in the board of trustees and university elections. With this move, and its decision to reject the Hungarian law, the European Commission has crossed a line in an abuse of power, he said.
Full report on the Hungary Today site