ITALY
bookmark

Deans alarmed by planned cuts to universities in decree

The conference of Italian university deans CRUI sounded the alarm on Thursday 18 July, saying college funding could be cut by over €500 million (US$544 million) under a planned ministerial decree, reports the ANSA English Desk. The deans said even covering personnel expenses could become unsustainable under possible cuts to the FFO fund (for the regular financing of universities).

CRUI representatives on Thursday had originally planned to meet with University Minister Anna Maria Bernini to suggest talks with her ministry as well as the economy ministry over changes to the decree, including to discuss an “excess of limitations” on the autonomy of universities. The meeting, however, was cancelled. Overall, the deans said in a long document, funding would be slashed by some €173 million (US$188 million) compared to last year.

Meanwhile university ministry sources on Thursday said the deans had mounted a “specious controversy” while the fund was still under discussion “publicising unfounded and alarmist figures over alleged cuts to universities”.
Full report on the ANSA site