AUSTRALIA
bookmark

Protesters announce end to Melbourne university encampment

Pro-Palestine protesters who occupied a University of Melbourne building last week have decided to end their encampment after they say the institution agreed to disclose connections to weapons manufacturers, reports ABC News.

In a press conference on Wednesday (22 May) night uploaded to social media, a Unimelb for Palestine spokesperson announced the encampments in the Arts West building and on the South Lawn would end. A spokesperson for the group later told the ABC the University of Melbourne had agreed to disclose all research partnerships with weapons manufacturers.

“After months of campaigning, rallies, petitions, meetings and in recent weeks the encampment, the University of Melbourne has finally agreed to meet an important demand of our campaign,” the spokesperson said.
Full report on the ABC site