International students to get continuous residence permit

Under a new act, students and their family members arriving in Finland from abroad will be able to obtain a residence permit for the entirety of the duration of their studies. The law also aims to make it easier to apply for work after graduation. However, students will still be responsible for their livelihood throughout their studies, reports The Free Press Journal.

The new law would also increase chances of employment opportunities after graduation for students. Foreign students’ right to work during their studies will also increase from an average of 25 hours to 30 hours a week.

Under the new act, the type of permit for students studying for a higher education degree will change from temporary (B) to continuous (A), which will make it easier to obtain a permanent residence permit. According to the legislative reform, the family members of the student will also receive a continuous (A) permit.
Full report on The Free Press Journal