New university core curriculum to begin in September 2023

The National Universities Commission (NUC) of Nigeria says the implementation of the Core Curriculum Minimum Academic Standards (CCMAS) will begin by September 2023, reports the Daily Nigerian.

The CCMAS document is expected to guide institutions in the design of curricula for their programmes while bringing necessary innovation into the content and delivery of their programmes towards achieving the overall goals of education and training in the country.

Speaking at the Stakeholders’ Colloquium on CCMAS in Abuja on Wednesday 23 August, Acting NUC Executive Secretary Chris Maiyaki said the document would reposition Nigerian universities to be among the best rated in Africa. He said the CCMAS would make up 70% of the curriculum while the university decides what to include in the remaining 30%. According to him, the implementation will help sharpen the future of education sector.
Full report on the Daily Nigerian site