EUROPE: Nazaré elected as next EUA President
She takes over from current EUA President, Jean-Marc Rapp, in March 2012.
Nazaré will be the first female president of the association. She was one of two candidates in the election. The other was Professor Lauritz Holm-Nielsen of Denmark. More than 300 members voted during the EUA Annual Meeting at Aarhus University in Denmark.
Nazaré is the former rector of the University of Aveiro. She will serve for a period of three years, from 2012 to 2015.
EUA members also elected five new board members in Århus. They will serve for a period of four years (2011-15). The new board members are:
* Esther Giménez-Salinas, Rector of Ramon Llull University in Barcelona, Spain.
* Vaclav Hampl, Rector of Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic.
* Lauritz Holm-Nielsen, Rector of Aarhus University, Denmark (re-elected).
* Kristin Ingolfsdottir, Rector of the University of Iceland in Reykjavik.
* Margret Wintermantel, President of the German Rectors' Conference (re-elected)
The elected candidates will join current board members David Drewry (UK), Jean-Pierre Finance (France) and Giuseppe Silvestri (Italy), together with current EUA President Jean-Marc Rapp and President-elect Maria Helena Nazaré.